June 9th reflective blog on Audacity as a learning statement

For my learning statement I chose to examine the various features of Audacity. The first step in my investigation was to download the program onto my desktop. once I downloaded the program the next step was to read the getting started guide offered by the program’s developers. The ‘quick help’ guide walks you through the many features available in the program. Some of the things one can do with Audacity that I was interested were the the ability to do voice recordings(recording live audio), importing mp3 songs, mixing tracks of music and removing the voice tracks from songs. I am interested in possibley using Audacity in my classroom for a few things, some of which are the following:

-making an audio advertisement for a novel students will be reading as part of my fall field study

-recording sounds for powerpoint slides to enhance presentations

-karaoke poetry in which students can remove the voice track from a song and overdub in their own poetic lyrics

I started by trying to remove the vocals from a song, following the instructions from the help guide. First what you have to do is split the stereo track into two separate mono tracks. Then you can “fiddle” with the mono/mute scales to increase or decrease the vocals and music tracking. I found it doesn’t always work perfectly because the vocals are not completely erased in some cases. It seems to depend upon the particular song chosen, preferably a song in which the vocals are in the middle of the track with the instruments spread around them. For instance, I took U2’s song “Pride in the Name of Love”, and was able to completely remove the vocals from the song, essentially creating a Karaoke track. Then what I did was create a new black track upon which to record my voice. This new voice track was then mixed with the original music track so that my voice now can be heard instead of Bono’s! The catch is, in order to create a karaoke track, you need a microphone and earphones. The nice thing about this is you can listen to the music track with lyrics removed as you sing along with the music. After your voice and the music tracks are mixed, you then export the recording to a file location on your hard drive where it is saved for playback.